Friday, June 29, 2007

Apple iPhone Day 

Today is the day Apple iPhone launches. Thousands queue up to buy. Ok, if you have enough market power, this is how you launch new products - be it the new Harry Potter or a gadget. You simply need the 5% idiots who want everything immediately and for any price to finance the remaining 95%.

The Apple iPhone is really looking nice, but will it succeed?

Michael Robertson from Gizmo and Sipphone has an interesting comparison of the 1-button Apple iPhone and the 51-button Nokia E61: Battle of the Buttons. Since I also have a Nokia E61, this is very interesting for me.

In most points the E61 is better, and I agree what he is saying about the major flaw of the E61: configuring and accessing a WiFi-hotspot is a pain ... but if you have done it, it is fine.

And I also fully agree with his conclusion:

"...If your software needs are exactly what Steve Jobs and AT&T dictate and if you don't mind AT&T's hand in your wallet, then fine."

We will see how this works in Europe.


Sunday, June 17, 2007

One week of vacation: sailing in Greece 

After the conference in Berlin I spent a week sailing in the Cyclades in Greece. I was invited by Rupert Nagler, member of the management board of IPA (the owner of to join him for one week on his boat Sea of Joy.

We arrived on Saturday, the 9th of June in Athens, the boat was moored in Marina Zea. On Sunday we left for Kithnos. Our trip continued to Syros, Myconos, Kea, Poros and ended on Friday in Marina Zea again. This was really a very nice and relaxing week.

The Sea of Joy in Syros.

The route we sailed can be downloaded for Google Earth.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?